The Design Museum’s Beazley Designs of the Year competition nominees for 2018 have been revealed, and the diversity of entries is as wide as the quality is high. After all, there aren’t many other prizes out there that can encompass everything from a Ross Kemp featuring anti-waste campaign devised by LadBible, to Elon Musk’s partially reusable heavy-lift launch vehicle, the SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket.
This year’s exhibition — now open at the Design Museum — features work from the product and graphic design, transport, digital, architecture and fashion spheres. Beazley, a specialist insurance firm based in London, says that “this years nominations have again captured the spirit of the moment and are sure to continue to inspire and have resonance for years to come.”
The 87 nominees include Nigeria’s hyper-popular Nike-designed World Cup kit, Bjarke Ingels Group’s 25 million brick strong Lego house, and the striking new National Library in Qatar. Viewers attending the show, which runs until 6 January 2019, can expect to feast their eyes on collateral from each of the nominees.
The winners of the eleventh edition of the prize – and there’ll be one from each category and an additional overall winner to boot – will be announced 15 November.
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- Matthew Jones gives insight into Accept & Proceed's work for Nasa
- Illustrator Jordan Awan on fulfilling his childhood dream
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!