Design Research Unit’s “double arrow” British Rail logo forms part of one of the most iconic graphic identities of the 20th Century, and the manuals that outline it are now to be published a comprehensive book. The identity design was created by Design Research Unit’s Gerry Barney initially in 1965, and a new Kickstarter campaign looks to draw all graphics standards manuals together in a book that “will celebrate British Rail’s identity in its entirety – not only its distinctive symbol.”
Created in agreement with the Department of Transport and alongside Nick Job, a custodian of the British Rail Corporate Identity Manual, the book collates the original four volumes of manuals: the first from July 1965, showing core brand elements such as the symbol, logotype, lettering and colour palette; Binder two, issued in November 1966, shows guidance on printed publicity and binders three and four were issued in 1970 with guidance on architecture and signposting, rolling stock, lineside equipment, road vehicles, ships, liner trains, uniforms and stationery.
The Kickstarter project was initiated by graphic designer Wallace Henning.
- Dennis Church’s 12-year project sees him capture the visual noise of America’s streets
- Hudson Christie’s illustration trickery uses depth to create textured, flat pieces
- A rare interview with enigmatic and cherished photographer, Nguan
- Karen Asher photographs the people and happenings of Winnipeg, Canada
- Nieves founder Benjamin Sommerhalder shares his passion for books and zines
- Meet the speakers: Dougal Wilson, Ewen Spencer, GraphicDesign& and Gal-dem
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner