Belgian artist and former scientist, Carsten Höller has been commissioned to install the first permanent slide tower in the United States at Aventura Mall in Miami. Carsten’s large-scale slide installations are world renowned and have been exhibited at the Tate Modern and Hayward Gallery among many other cultural institutions. The slide has been installed at the mall which is known for its world-class contemporary art collection in order to “promote joy” and a feeling “somewhere between delight and madness.”
A celebration of the site-specific work will take place on 11 February in an altogether fitting manner: the artist’s long-time friend, actress Chloë Sevigny, will join him in taking a ride in tandem down the double-barrelled slide. Comprised of two titanium steel tubes that visitors can access by climbing a central spiral staircase, Höller describes the installation as “isometric.” Titled the Aventura Slide Tower, “sliders” can choose to descend either clockwise or anti-clockwise and reach speeds of 15 miles per hour.
“We are proud to have such an iconic, interactive work free and open to the public,” says Jackie Soffer, co-chairman and CEO of Turnberry Associates, owner and manager of Aventura Mall. “We hope that Aventura Slide Tower becomes a new landmark for the Miami community and visitors alike.”
- Clean it, beach: Reto Schmid's new fashion series shines light on the plastic waste problem
- Short film Krista demonstrates the power of drama to overcome trauma
- Robert Rubbish takes us on a hazy, illustrated day of the places and people of Soho
- Studio Moniker’s collaborative painting tool turns the Earth’s surface into a giant canvas
- Tales of the sea: behind John Morgan’s identity for Island, the British Pavilion at Venice Biennale
- Photographer Pierluigi Macor travels to southern Italy to capture interesting characters
- Custom Typefaces: are they worth the hype?
- Bonjour Garçon combines photography and graphic design to make "strong and delicate" work
- Iconic film poster designer and illustrator Bill Gold has died aged 97
- Juno Calypso's eerie new series sees her posing inside Nevada’s plushest bunker
- 4Creative brings The Handmaid’s Tale’s dystopian world to Britain in provocative ad campaign
- "Football's Bayeux Tapestry": behind the scenes of the embroidered BBC World Cup trailer animation