Yesterday (25 February) a 16-episode visual interpretation of David Bowie’s ★ (pronounced Blackstar) debuted exclusively on Instagram. Before his death on 10 January 2016, Bowie provided music and images from his last album to InstaMiniSeries, a startup that creates programming for Instagram.
The series called Unbound: A ★ InstaMiniSeries was completed in December last year and will take the audience on a “journey of evocative images inspired by the moods suggested in the album’s music, lyrics and artwork.”
Each episode is only 15 seconds long, meaning the entire project will have a total running time of around four minutes. Nikki Borges, InstaMiniSeries founder and executive producer said: “Bowie has always been about reinvention over repetition. Remarkably honest and passionate in his work, his innovations have influenced our own work as we transform a social media platform into a creative outlet. We are grateful to hav ethe opportunity to participate with the chameleonic rock icon and honoured to be entrusted with interpreting his art.
New episodes will air on the InstaMiniSeries channel every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
"UNBOUND” Episode One Executive Producer:
InstaMiniSeries Director: @nikkiborges Music: @davidbowie Writer: @carolynncecilia Co-Producer: @lawrenceperyer Director of Photography: @joshuasterlingbragg Line Producer: @delaVega Associate Producer: @amandadelanuez, @itscecifernandez Production Designer: @LezGolden Costume Designer: @Bodilicious Hair / Make Up Artist: @missy_mua Miss Clarkson’s MakeUp Artist: @angdidmyhair VFX Production House: @heym1ster Dance Choreographer: @ofbonesdance, @hollyebynum Stunt Coordinator: @stuntmanpete Wire Rigger: @stuntworks Stunt Woman: @hellskitten29 Behind The Scenes: @a_madd Production Assistant: @clemencyforclem Special Thanks: @instalucas Final Cut: #dechesermedia Editor: Mike Ragone Creative Consultant: Michael Decheser Starring: @tavitulle, @rysak, @nikkiborges, Ching Valdes Anan, @amandadelanuez, @Jayknowlest, Jonah Herman</a></p> <p style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;">A video posted by InstaMiniSeries (instaminiseries) on
- Izabela Jurcewicz uses her camera to become both a surgeon and a patient
- XYZ Lab designs a removable and “grotesque” fifth issue for Rouge Fashion Book
- Relive the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer through Summer of Something Special
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories