For the fifth consecutive year, It’s Nice That has media partnered with Design Indaba. We will be delivering news, interviews and insight live and direct from each day of the three-day conference in Cape Town. The event will be live broadcast via simulcast to a number of South African cities allowing each presentation to resonate around the country.
Every year, Design Indaba brings designers from around the world together in one venue for a three-day-long conference. This 21 — 23 February 2018, hundreds of creatives are due to descend on Cape Town to digest talks, performances, music, fashion shows, product launches and surprise appearances from across the creative industries.
This year’s blockbuster list of speakers includes a long list of creatives It’s Nice That has admired, written about and collaborated with including designer Morag Myerscough, Pentagram partner Natasha Jen, Italian graphic designer Astrid Stavro, designer and founder of London-based design practise Heatherwick Studio Thomas Heatherwick, stage designer and visual artist Es Devlin, Azusa Murakami and Alexander Groves from Studio Swine, architect Neri Oxman, product designer Tom Dixon, artist Edel Rodriguez, as well as a wealth of African talent including filmmaker Sunu Gonera, performance artist Lebo Mashile, interaction designer Mark Kamau, entrepreneurs GetSmarter, Shaakira Jassat. New speakers will be announced regularly until the first day of the conference via the Design Indaba website.
The three days of talks will be accompanied by a nightly festival Nightscape on the Artscape Piazza, with performances from local and international musicians and DJs includi ng Darkie Fiction and Petite Noir, and a pop-up restaurant from Bertus Basson. And, if you can’t make it to Design Indaba, the conference will be simulcast to cities around South Africa including Cape Town, Johannesburg, Port Elizabeth, Durban and Potchefstroom.
- Palestine Underground shines a light on the West Bank’s underground music scene
- “How does an identity express itself in 3D?”: Common Name on design for environments
- Courtney Barnett discusses her love for illustrators, animators and her own creativity too
- Studio Dumbar on how it encourages its team to find their voices as designers
- Sophie Green's latest project ventures into Kent's unlikely cowboy country
- Chow and Lin documents the world’s inequality of wealth using Google Earth
- This is an article about Wieden+Kennedy’s clever ad campaign - No B.S
- The Saul Bass Archive looks back on the trailblazer’s rare poster design
- XXL Studio is an iconic Chinese graphic design studio producing exceptional book design
- Superimpose creates "hyper-local" campaign for Adidas Original and TFL collaboration
- Iceland’s Christmas advert banned from broadcast for being too political
- Studio Weave redesigns the colour scheme and signage of housing associations in Hackney