Architectural installations by Ron Arad, Jean Prouvé and Kengo Kuma will form part of this year’s Design at Large series at Design Miami Basel, exploring new ways of living within landscape. The series of pop-up structures will be curated by Cabana Magazine’s Martina Mondadori, and aim to demonstrate inventive approaches to architectural design for the outdoors.
Ron Arad Armadillo Tea Canopy is a free-standing structure comprising five overlapping timber shells, designed to blend with natural surroundings and provide an intimate enclosure within a garden. The pavilion was originally made for Revolution Precrafted Properties in 2015 and presented at the festival’s US show, Design Miami.
Jean Prouvé’s Temporary School of Villejuif was originally made in 1957 as part of a commission to design a lightweight, easily dismantled and rebuilt school for the inner Paris suburbs. This is presented by Galerie Patrick Seguin.
Kengo Kuma will present a brand new pavilion with Galerie Philippe Gravier, called Owan, made from interweaving metal strands with an inner membrane. The architect previously showed two other structures at Design Miami in December, including the Oribe Tea House (pictured).
The Design at Large programme will also show pop-up gardens and prototypes for urban farms. Design Miami Basel opens 14-19 June in Basel, Switzerland.
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice