An auction to raise funds for the Design Museum’s new building in London features one-off items donated by Jony Ive, Rolf Sachs, Antony Gormley, Norman Foster and the Zaha Hadid Foundation. The collection is open for public viewing from 22-28 April at Phillips auction house in Mayfair, before the live auction on the 28th. It is also being auctioned online until 2 May.
The collection also features work by Thomas Heatherwick, Richard Woods, Frank Gehry, Paola Petrobelli, Paul Cocksedge, Martino Gamper, Michele De Lucchi and Geraldine Prieur.
The Apple design team, headed by Jony Ive, donated a unique iPad Pro, smart cover, and Apple pencil and holder. Ron Arad has given his own unique vinyl-wrapped Fiat 500 to the collection, while Rolf Sachs has also contributed a Ron Arad design, the London Papardelle chair.
Antony Gormley has donated one of his sculptures, Small Spall III, and Michael Craig-Martin’s Timetable desk was donated by the artist and Carpenters Workshop Gallery. The Norman Foster Foundation has contributed a gold-finished version of the architect’s Arc table for Molteni&C, while the Zaha Hadid Foundation has given a set of three Bianco Covelano low tables from Zaha’s Mercuric collection.
All profits from the Time for Design sale will go towards the Design Museum’s new building in Holland Park, London. It was co-curated by Design Museum director Deyan Sudjic and Alexander Payne, worldwide director of design at Phillips.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled