Design Society, a major new cultural hub in Shenzhen, China, has announced an official opening date of 2 December after originally planning to open in October. The “cultural hub” will open with a series of public events, including talks, performances, and inaugural exhibition Values of Design, to be held at the V&A Gallery.
Design Society will be based in the Sea World Culture and Arts Centre in Shekou district, and comprise multiple galleries, masterplanned by Japanese architects Maki & Maki. The V&A Gallery has been designed by London design studio Sam Jacob.
According to the V&A, the partnership between state-owned, Hong Kong-based company China Merchants Shekou Holdings (CMSK) and the museum is the first of its kind. The exhibition will feature 250 objects from the V&A’s permanent collection from 900AD to present day, and 31 countries, aiming “to frame a global debate about how design is valued and how values shape design”. According to the Financial Times this will span from items such as an 18th-century Iranian astrolabe to a Stella McCartney jumpsuit for H&M.
Ole Bouman, director of Design Society, commented on the show: ”In an age of accelerating change, the future belongs to those who are agile, curious and creative. More specifically, when people are looking for answers to the big issues of our time, such as climate change, the pursuit of a better life, the protection of health, as well as ongoing urbanisation and digitisation, it has become increasingly clear that human creativity will be the critical factor to decide success over failure. And not just creativity as a goal in itself, but creativity as an applied human endeavour. Future-proof states don’t curb the creative drive, they support it. They make creativity a pillar of their legitimacy. [This] show sends the message of a thriving creative culture in China in relation with global developments in design today."
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice