Documentary lovers across the globe are preparing themselves for their annual trek to one of the North’s great cities.
Since 1994, the Sheffield Doc/Fest has been a must-attend event for non-fiction film buffs the world over, dedicated as it is to screening the best in innovative and inventive documentary making.
Today sees the 2019 line-up released in full, and boy, oh boy, it is a doozy. After all, the chances of catching Diego Maradona, David Hockney, and Werner Herzog on the same bill ever again are pretty, pretty, pretty slim.
Noted doc-director Asif Kapadia (Senna, Amy) will be premiering his new examination of the Argentinian football icon’s tumultuous time at Italian club Napolo. Werner will descend into the Steel City with his latest film, a profile of British writer Bruce Chatwin, in tow. Dear old David is set to appear on screen in a newly remastered version of the classic biopic A Bigger Splash.
Other doc-dons set to shake things up in Sheffield include Nick Broomfield, Stacey Dooley and INT favourite Tea Uglow.
Sheffield Doc/Fest takes place 6-11 June, in Sheffield, and you can view the programme in full right here.
If that wasn’t enticing enough, last time we popped up to the city to check the festival out, we found ourselves sharing a lift with Louis Theroux. Exciting, huh?
- Izabela Jurcewicz uses her camera to become both a surgeon and a patient
- XYZ Lab designs a removable and “grotesque” fifth issue for Rouge Fashion Book
- Relive the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer through Summer of Something Special
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories