Tumblr, the inexhaustible online depository for some of the most deliciously niche material on the internet, has been given a visual rerub by Swiss design practice Dinamo, as part of the studio’s ongoing creative partnership with the content platform.
The typeface specialists have zhuzhed up the Tumblr logo and put together a custom typeface, Favorit. The result sees the logo have its “t” and “r” characters recut to align stylistically with Favorit’s defining attributes. Which is all well and good – and it looks well and good, too – but the big news is that Dinamo has made one massive, previously unthinkable change to a logo that’s familiar with pretty much anyone who’s spent more than five minutes on the internet in the past decade: they’ve removed the full stop.
This, Dinamo says, “allows the logo and typeface to seamlessly integrate across all naming conventions.” Which, you’ll agree, is a good thing.
On the typeface itself, Tumblr’s creative director, Doug Richard, is keen to praise how important having a “flexible personality across brand materials” is, and that Favorit possesses a “friendly yet commanding presence that successfully balances foundational sans serif attributes with assertive, contemporary geometry. It was a tall order, but Favorit-Tumblr delivered on all of our needs.”
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- Matthew Jones gives insight into Accept & Proceed's work for Nasa
- Illustrator Jordan Awan on fulfilling his childhood dream
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!