British band Django Django have released the video for their latest track In Your Beat, directed by Sophie Koko Gate and art directed by Brodie Kaman. Animation director Sophie, aka SKG, and graphic designer Brodie collaborated on the video, a vividly colourful, collage-style animation with strong graphics and surrealist references.
The band’s drummer and producer Dave Maclean found Brodie’s work online, and says he was instantly a big fan of his “graphic style and influences from rave flyers and DIY punk aesthetics”. Dave’s idea was to make Brodie’s posters come to life in a video, so he put him in touch with SKG to animate them.
“He wanted to create a sort of poster world, that the band is trapped within,” says Brodie. “It takes place in a surreal, mixed-media place, blurring the lines between my static work and Sophie’s animation style. There’s a lot to take in!”
Brodie aimed to reflect the “fun and bouncy” track in his graphics and typography, and make it a bit trippy as a device to combine the two creatives’ styles. For inspiration, Brodie looked to the work of Baldessari and Magritte, and elements of Terry Gilliam can be spotted too, while the video also reminded us of the trippy collage approach in Jimmy Turrell’s Beck video. Brodie planned a colour palette and type style, before pooling together a vast amount of imagery to use in the final film. Brodie then constructed a plethora of compositions, some for guidance and others to be animated, then “let Sophie do her thing”.
The result is an energetic mixture of photographic and drawn animation, bold type, bright block colours and patterns, and retro textures.
- Superimpose Studio on the impact of Brexit on the creative industries
- Photographer Namsa Leuba makes the invisible stories of Voodoo visible
- A whizz through the portfolio of Italian illustrator Marco Oggian
- Alex Vasilyev's compelling photographs of locals living in Russia's coldest region
- Friday Mixtape: Rae Morris curates a winter-focused mix
- Good Sport Magazine: sport-focussed content, through the lens of much broader reaching interests
- Lacoste swaps famous crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- Director of Taylor Swift's Delicate video accused of copying Spike Jonze’s Kenzo advert
- These Swedish kids designed a typeface to celebrate their neighbourhood
- A new Vitra Museum exhibition shows the hedonistic history of nightclub design
- A chat with the anonymous archivist behind vintage smut celebration Hardcore Decor
- A peek inside the bulging, bold portfolio of multidisciplinary studio Spassky Fisher