Dominic Wilcox has reinvented 30 seasonal items, such as a sledge and a lilo, to give them purpose all year round. As part of the commission from tyre manufacturer Goodyear, the artist and designer has sketched the ideas for an e-book called All Season Inventions and made prototypes of some, which can be viewed in a video interview with the designer.
The items are a brilliant combination of silly and potential genius, offering a glimpse at the world through Dominic’s imaginative eyes. They include a lilo that becomes a raincoat, a snow shovel water ski, ice tray snow shoes, and a paddling pool that can be used as a mould to make a snowman. There’s also a collection of salt grit containers that double as outdoor seating, a sledge with parasol and side table attachments to adapt it for summer lounging by the pool, and a skateboard with a built-in blow torch for melting snow.
“One of the design flaws of a skateboard is that you can’t skate on thick snow, so I came up with the idea of attaching a blow torch to melt the snow directly in front of the skateboard. It’s all quite logical really.”
The commission is part of campaign promoting Goodyear’s All Seasons tyre. See all the inventions and a video interview with Dominic below.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled