Dominic Wilcox has reinvented 30 seasonal items, such as a sledge and a lilo, to give them purpose all year round. As part of the commission from tyre manufacturer Goodyear, the artist and designer has sketched the ideas for an e-book called All Season Inventions and made prototypes of some, which can be viewed in a video interview with the designer.
The items are a brilliant combination of silly and potential genius, offering a glimpse at the world through Dominic’s imaginative eyes. They include a lilo that becomes a raincoat, a snow shovel water ski, ice tray snow shoes, and a paddling pool that can be used as a mould to make a snowman. There’s also a collection of salt grit containers that double as outdoor seating, a sledge with parasol and side table attachments to adapt it for summer lounging by the pool, and a skateboard with a built-in blow torch for melting snow.
“One of the design flaws of a skateboard is that you can’t skate on thick snow, so I came up with the idea of attaching a blow torch to melt the snow directly in front of the skateboard. It’s all quite logical really.”
The commission is part of campaign promoting Goodyear’s All Seasons tyre. See all the inventions and a video interview with Dominic below.
- A real bobby-dazzler, it’s Best of the Web!
- Max Guther is back with more hyper real illustrations visualising social trends
- The Igor has landed: Igor Bastidas on our animated cover for Printed Pages AW17
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum