Edward Enninful, the incoming UK Vogue editor-in-chief, has launched his directorial debut with fashion brand Gap, a film celebrating “American optimism” titled Bridging the Gap. Featuring a host of stars including Adwoa Aboah, Priyanka Chopra, Wiz Khalifa, Alek Wek and Casil McArthur, the film takes on the classic Gap ad style with a pure white backdrop, and the cast dancing and singing Sunny by Boney M.
Intended to celebrate diversity, individuality, unity and authenticity, it sees the stars wearing different versions of Gap’s basic white T-shirts, aiming to “offer a glimpse at how their differences unite them”.“I love the optimistic American style that Gap celebrates and the simplicity of the basic white T-shirt that allows you to be yourself,” says Edward. “Growing up, I loved the imagery I saw from America as it celebrated being the land of the free and home of the brave. This project is about authenticity and people living their truths.”
Gap’s Craig Brommers commented that Bridging the Gap is “about showing the many faces of what it means to be an American and bringing all of those sides together,” and that it aimed to show “an optimistic view of the world”. Cast member Christie Brinkley said she sees Bridging the Gap as “a statement of mutual humanity and freedom”.
The full cast also includes Jasmine Sanders, Fernanda Ly, Jonathan Groff, Ellen Rosa, Lineisy Montero, Yara Shahidi, Maria Borges and Miles Chamley-Watson.
- Photographer Eli Durst's series Pinnacle Realty challenges stereotypes of suburban America
- Grace Miceli’s bold and playful illustrations re-interpret brands in humorous ways
- Tsto returns to design Flow Festival's identity, pushing and playing with its typography
- Rosie Yasukochi's vibrant comic reflects on post-generational trauma
- Patrick Kyle's helpful advice on how to start out at illustration fairs
- "Don't drink and dance in front of your peers": ten creatives on their biggest mistakes
- Crayola launches a makeup range based on its ubiquitous crayons
- Portfolio tips from top studios: what to leave in (and out) and how to get noticed
- The Graduates 2018: Should I get a job or go freelance?
- All internships are not created equal: how to spot the best opportunities and have the courage to reject the duds
- Erik Spiekermann brings five unfinished fonts from Bauhaus design masters to life with Adobe
- Why counter-culture matters: Rough Trade launches publishing venture designed by Craig Oldham