Edward Enninful, the incoming UK Vogue editor-in-chief, has launched his directorial debut with fashion brand Gap, a film celebrating “American optimism” titled Bridging the Gap. Featuring a host of stars including Adwoa Aboah, Priyanka Chopra, Wiz Khalifa, Alek Wek and Casil McArthur, the film takes on the classic Gap ad style with a pure white backdrop, and the cast dancing and singing Sunny by Boney M.
Intended to celebrate diversity, individuality, unity and authenticity, it sees the stars wearing different versions of Gap’s basic white T-shirts, aiming to “offer a glimpse at how their differences unite them”.“I love the optimistic American style that Gap celebrates and the simplicity of the basic white T-shirt that allows you to be yourself,” says Edward. “Growing up, I loved the imagery I saw from America as it celebrated being the land of the free and home of the brave. This project is about authenticity and people living their truths.”
Gap’s Craig Brommers commented that Bridging the Gap is “about showing the many faces of what it means to be an American and bringing all of those sides together,” and that it aimed to show “an optimistic view of the world”. Cast member Christie Brinkley said she sees Bridging the Gap as “a statement of mutual humanity and freedom”.
The full cast also includes Jasmine Sanders, Fernanda Ly, Jonathan Groff, Ellen Rosa, Lineisy Montero, Yara Shahidi, Maria Borges and Miles Chamley-Watson.
- Easle partners with top industry talent to launch freelance creative hiring platform
- Post-Soviet Visions: image and identity in the new Eastern Europe
- "The truth can be controversial": illustrator Edel Rodriguez on going viral
- Steffen Knöll's mammoth 496-page tribute to an "amazing, world-changing mission"
- Turkish photographer Olgaç Bozalp recreates a family photo album
- Angela Stempel animates the "harmless mind control" of a chant-heavy yoga class
- Photo of a single atom wins science photography prize
- Property developer fined $6.7 million for “whitewashing” New York graffiti haven, 5Pointz
- Google tackles image copyright infringement with latest design tweak
- Ikea partners with Hasselblad to offer more “inspiring” prints for its frames
- Meet graphic designer Jonathan Isaacson and his hybrid portfolio
- "Oddities, clumsiness and dogs": the mischievous output of designer Félicité Landrivon