Nike has revealed its England 2018 football kit for the World Cup in Russia this summer. Described by Nike Football’s senior design director Pete Hoppins as having a “classic identity with a modern edge”, it brings together a custom typeface by Craig Ward and three traditionally English icons: the rose, St George’s Cross and the Three Lions crest.
“As design elements, each of these iconic emblems plays a prominent role in the England Football Association’s 2018 collection,” Nike says in a statement. “They root the kit in history, and when married to Nike’s latest game-changing kit innovation, fast-forward tradition into an emboldened present.” The cross sits on the back neck of the shirts, a rosette features on the inner neck, and the crest on the front.
Player names and numbers are shown in a custom typeface, which Nike says “draws from Johnston and Gil Sans, both quintessentially English fonts (the former with overground transport and the latter for association with London’s underground)”. The collection is based on England’s “archetypal colour palette” of white, red and blue, which manifests in various combinations for the home, away and pre-match kits.
- Amad Ilyas’ Naach Girls project explores the portrayal of dancing girls in South Asia
- Haruna Kawai breaks down the boundaries between illustration and sculpture
- Sam Jayne's abstract and psychedelic design portfolio is inspired by nature
- Catching up with Charlotte Trounce while on a residency in Japan
- "I always seem to look for oddities": photographer Clark Franklyn on his dreamy landscapes
- Parallel Practice's Bookshelf provides insight into its thorough understanding of graphic design
- "Don't drink and dance in front of your peers": ten creatives on their biggest mistakes
- Beyoncé and Jay Z take over the Louvre for Apeshit music video
- All internships are not created equal: how to spot the best opportunities and have the courage to reject the duds
- Tsto returns to design Flow Festival's identity, pushing and playing with its typography
- Why counter-culture matters: Rough Trade launches publishing venture designed by Craig Oldham
- How Alex Prager made the world stop and stare