Nike has revealed its England 2018 football kit for the World Cup in Russia this summer. Described by Nike Football’s senior design director Pete Hoppins as having a “classic identity with a modern edge”, it brings together a custom typeface by Craig Ward and three traditionally English icons: the rose, St George’s Cross and the Three Lions crest.
“As design elements, each of these iconic emblems plays a prominent role in the England Football Association’s 2018 collection,” Nike says in a statement. “They root the kit in history, and when married to Nike’s latest game-changing kit innovation, fast-forward tradition into an emboldened present.” The cross sits on the back neck of the shirts, a rosette features on the inner neck, and the crest on the front.
Player names and numbers are shown in a custom typeface, which Nike says “draws from Johnston and Gil Sans, both quintessentially English fonts (the former with overground transport and the latter for association with London’s underground)”. The collection is based on England’s “archetypal colour palette” of white, red and blue, which manifests in various combinations for the home, away and pre-match kits.
- Why should you apply to The Graduates 2019? Three grads tell us how it helped their career
- “I absolutely hated it”: Heath West on why he left architecture for the art industry
- Hubert Crabières captures a brilliantly absurd celebrating family for Edicola
- Illustrator Holly St Clair uses the rhythm of a joke in her portfolio of sculptures, textiles and prints
- Jules Durand aims to “design cool new fonts” beyond the Latin alphabet
- For Alice Franchetti, graphic design is the sweet spot where maths and intuition meet
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Spotify wants you to listen to more podcasts, so it's redesigned its app
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Illustrator Faye Moorhouse has made a trilogy of zines about her cat
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!