The timelessly fashionable it-girl FKA Twigs continues to cause a stir with the latest issue of the Instagram zine, Avantgarden. The songstress appears on the streets of New York with the likes of A$AP Rocky in an original display of alternative beauty.
Directed and styled by Matthew Josephs, previously of Crack magazine, and photographed by Mateus Porto, Avantgarden’s fourth issue showcases futuristic fashion framed by punk-inspired typography. The zine’s opening statement begins with “welcome to Avantgarden" followed by “fresh out of a government testing facility, alien princess, FKA Twigs takes New York City by storm. Let’s join her, shall we?”
Featuring looks from the likes of the iconic Donatella Versace, Stephen Jones, Nasir Mazhar and vintage Dior, each image highlights Twigs’ eclectic sense of style against the cool backdrop of New York streets. Stylist Matthew Josephs tells Vogue that “one of the main inspirations was my favourite [John] Galliano Dior collection, Fall 2003 — it’s the perfect match of soft and hard-core romance”.
View this post on Instagram
AVANTgarden issue 4 creative direction and styling
matthew_josephs photography @orograph editor and design @suz_p make up @kabukinyc hair @jembomb animation @georgejasperstone illustration @kabukinyc styling of @asaprocky by @henson special thanks to @objectandanimal Martin at @marchivenyc @wigglesnwiggles and @deanjfhoy <3</a></p> <p style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;">A post shared by <a href="https://www.instagram.com/fkatwigs/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_medium=loading" style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; line-height:17px;" target="_blank"> FKA twigs</a> (fkatwigs) on
- Greg Lin Jiajie captures stories from his “favourite place”, his hometown of Fujian
- Grotesque and playful, Tres Tipos Gráficos’ latest project is filled with personality
- Luca Mastroianni on his journey from Instagram selfies to the new Gentle Monster campaign
- Graphic designer Jacob Pardoe on collaborating with a neural network and the surprises it produces
- Call for Collaboration: Mahaneela is looking for a mixed media creative to visualise modern love
- Annu Kilpeläinen’s zine Rally 2U promises cars, sun and speed
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Job interviews: Pentagram, Wieden+Kennedy and Bureau Borsche on how to get them and what to say
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!