Stage designer Es Devlin, whose past work has seen her collaborate with musicians including Beyonce, the Pet Shop Boys, Miley Cyrus and Kanye West, brands such as Louis Vuitton and cultural institutions including the Royal Opera House and the Barbican has been commissioned as part of a £5 million renovation of a 226-year old church in east London.
St John at Hackney has been given £1.84 million funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) to go towards the renovation of the church.
Es will be joined by renowned architectural designer John Pawson, whose notable past projects include The Design Museum, London, and RIBA award-winning architects Thomas Ford & Partners.
According to local publication Hackney Gazette, Revd Al Gordon approached Es Devlin after seeing a Netflix documentary, The Art of Design, about her work. The borough’s rector commented “for over 700 years, the church has served as a beacon of hope at the heart of Hackney. This award will not only increase accessibility to our wonderful story, but will enable future generations to play their part in shaping Hackney’s bright future.”
Watch Es Devlin’s talk from our creative symposium Here in 2013.
- Ruud van Empel’s uncanny photographs blend artificiality with naturalism
- Grant James-Thomas shoots twins with a painterly aesthetic for Vogue Italia
- In Stiya, photographer Cole Barash compares a storm and the birth of his first child
- Nano illustrates the different kinds of loneliness that we all feel from time to time
- Jan Hakon Erichsen is a balloon-destroying artist whose work you really shouldn't try at home
- Clarity of concept is at the heart of Seoul-based graphic designer Son Ayong’s posters
- “The future of design is in the creation of tools”: Meet the Space Type Generator
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Lacoste once again swaps its iconic crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- Introducing Double Click – our new series rounding up the best of the digital design world
- Typeface Ciao communicates auditive intonations of the spoken word
- Yushi Li on photographing men she met through Tinder