Stage designer Es Devlin, whose past work has seen her collaborate with musicians including Beyonce, the Pet Shop Boys, Miley Cyrus and Kanye West, brands such as Louis Vuitton and cultural institutions including the Royal Opera House and the Barbican has been commissioned as part of a £5 million renovation of a 226-year old church in east London.
St John at Hackney has been given £1.84 million funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) to go towards the renovation of the church.
Es will be joined by renowned architectural designer John Pawson, whose notable past projects include The Design Museum, London, and RIBA award-winning architects Thomas Ford & Partners.
According to local publication Hackney Gazette, Revd Al Gordon approached Es Devlin after seeing a Netflix documentary, The Art of Design, about her work. The borough’s rector commented “for over 700 years, the church has served as a beacon of hope at the heart of Hackney. This award will not only increase accessibility to our wonderful story, but will enable future generations to play their part in shaping Hackney’s bright future.”
Watch Es Devlin’s talk from our creative symposium Here in 2013.
- Victor Fonseca treats his graphic design practice like a “playground”
- Photographer Jack Latham investigates the hidden conspiracies of Bohemian Grove
- Stella Park’s warm illustrations reflect her outlook on life
- Ugly beauty and challenging established norms feature in Jade Palace's collaboration with Yat Pit
- Astrid Seme elevates an artist’s work by challenging it through the lens of design
- Elizabeth Hibbard’s unsettling photographs examine subjective experience with a visceral gaze
- New study claims to pinpoint the most creative time of day, down to the minute
- Singapore-based studio Swell explores the idea of the banished book
- "My little niece and my grandmother like the game equally": how Playables made the simply addictive Kids
- In being "open to possibilities" still life painter Duane Keiser paints the everyday joys of life
- What the cluck? KFC releases limited-edition bucket hat
- For Bizzarri-Rodriguez, book design “is everything except a science”