After a three year absence, FKA twigs returns with a brand new single, accompanied by a video directed by long-term Bjork-collaborator, Andrew Thomas Huang.
Cellophane, a typically lithe’n’atmospheric piece of barely-there avant-pop that sits somewhere between Kate Bush and the sort of new age obscurities that people seemed to be really into a few years back, is the first we’ve heard from singer’s forthcoming sophomore album. It’s also the first time we’ve seen her pole dance.
Taking to Instagram, Twigs says “when I wrote Cellophane over a year ago a visual narrative came to me immediately, I knew I had to learn how to pole-dance to bring it to life, and so that’s what I did.”
As ever with an FKA twigs clip, choreography takes pride of place, and the Cellophane clip sees the LP 1 star bringing a phenomenal level of purposeful poise to a pop video. Oh, and there’s a short scene involving a half-dragon, half-twigs apparition which might inspire a few outre looks amongst the nation’s art student population this weekend.
Huang – an award-winning filmmaker who has also worked with musicians like Serpentwithfeet, Perfume Genius, and Kelela – gives the video an enticingly hyper-real feel, crafting a kinetic vision of bodily and spiritual vulnerability.
- Izabela Jurcewicz uses her camera to become both a surgeon and a patient
- XYZ Lab designs a removable and “grotesque” fifth issue for Rouge Fashion Book
- Relive the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer through Summer of Something Special
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories