Francesca Maffeo Gallery is to host an exhibition of previously unseen photographs of David Bowie opening 24 March. Writer, producer and photographer Geoff MacCormack spent 1973-1976 with the singer touring as part of his band and documenting a trip that included destinations such as Japan, Russia and the US. Alongside the photographs, the exhibition will present The Long Way Home a cine film shot by Bowie as they travelled the Trans Siberian Express to Moscow. The candid images capture a quieter, but no less enigmatic side to the singer who died in 2016.
“‘The party that lasted for three years’ was recorded in endearingly intimate ‘holiday snaps’,” says the gallery. “While always one to adopt a pose, the feeling here is of an unguarded Bowie – almost as though these are shots from a family photo album. The sense of two mates – one of whom just happened to have become a rock star – having riotous good times is palpable. So much so, that a seasoned music journalist became tearful on seeing these photos.”
David Bowie: The Geoff MacCormack Collection opens at the Francesca Maffeo Gallery on 24 March until 14 April.
- Francesca Allen on using photography as a means of self-expression
- Review of the Year 2018: Back to Back with Joey Yu and Olimpia Zagnoli
- Ram Han’s work continues to rekindle images of childhood nostalgia
- Sophy Hollington on learning to be creatively fulfilled while earning a living in 2018
- Same Paper and KangHee Kim's latest book is a golden journey from dawn to dusk
- We ask Duncan Cowles to create the ultimate Christmas ad, using only Adobe Stock and some expert advice
- Alex Gamsu Jenkins’ comics remind us of how gross we really are
- Pantone's Colour of the Year 2019 has been announced and it's... Living Coral!
- DIA channels NYC and gives Squarespace its signature kinetic treatment in brand refresh
- Pop culture powerhouse Bryan Rivera's 2018 in graphic design
- Don't worry, be angry: how politics and creativity collided in 2018
- Shun Ishizuka's designs combine Western design influences for a Japanese context