Ikea have created a 25-minute-long advert using ASMR (autonomous sensory meridian response) which uses particular sounds to evoke a tingling, relaxing feeling on the viewer.
The advert, created with advertising agency Oglivy & Mather, is titled Oddly Ikea, and aimed at college students, promoting “dorm-friendly” products in its bedroom range.
The lengthy advert features a female voice, in a dulcet almost whispering tone, which is already dividing opinion with YouTube commenters on whether it is relaxing or not. Throughout the slow-pace of the advert a figure leisurely makes a bed and highlighting the textures of Ikea products, for instance scratching pillows to display a velvety material. The rest of the advert moves throughout the dorm-room, highlighting minor details such as moving hangers along a steel poll to create a wind chime sound effect.
Targeting students using ASMR is the next step in Ikea’s campaign to tap into a younger audience, after releasing advertisements only on Snapchat earlier this year.
We suggest watching the advert with headphones to receive the full ASMR treatment and if 25 minutes is too intense, Ikea have also made several one minute clips that evoke the same goosebumps feeling too.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled