Ikea have created a 25-minute-long advert using ASMR (autonomous sensory meridian response) which uses particular sounds to evoke a tingling, relaxing feeling on the viewer.
The advert, created with advertising agency Oglivy & Mather, is titled Oddly Ikea, and aimed at college students, promoting “dorm-friendly” products in its bedroom range.
The lengthy advert features a female voice, in a dulcet almost whispering tone, which is already dividing opinion with YouTube commenters on whether it is relaxing or not. Throughout the slow-pace of the advert a figure leisurely makes a bed and highlighting the textures of Ikea products, for instance scratching pillows to display a velvety material. The rest of the advert moves throughout the dorm-room, highlighting minor details such as moving hangers along a steel poll to create a wind chime sound effect.
Targeting students using ASMR is the next step in Ikea’s campaign to tap into a younger audience, after releasing advertisements only on Snapchat earlier this year.
We suggest watching the advert with headphones to receive the full ASMR treatment and if 25 minutes is too intense, Ikea have also made several one minute clips that evoke the same goosebumps feeling too.
- National Geographic’s creative director Emmet Smith on the publication’s redesign
- Leon Mark’s refined and infinitely stylish photography
- Sophie Harris-Taylor shares anecdotes and insights from her photo series, Sisters
- Designer Anatole Couteau's technical approach lets him communicate simply and precisely
- A peek inside Hicham Amrani's trippy new comic Svend & Xanax
- Friday Mixtape: The Orielles mix for "good times with good people"
- Pentagram rebrands Battersea dogs and cats home to visualise "personality over sentiment"
- Craig Oldham dishes out brutally honest advice to new graphic designers
- ManvsMachine create its most ambitious campaign for Air Max Day yet
- V&A announces shortlist for its Illustration Awards 2018
- Ten examples of rare letterings, from 19th-century alphabets to preliminary drawings of Futura
- Bad week for art world as Jeff Koons piece is smashed and imitation Happy Meal thrown away