Having filed for bankruptcy in May, Interview Magazine – originally founded by Andy Warhol and John Wilcock in 1969 – is back, and due to hit newsstands later this week. The September issue, designed by Richard Turley, features Agnès Varda on its cover – her second Interview cover, the first being the first edition of the magazine in 1969 – in a portrait by Collier Schorr.
The magazine returns under the ownership of newly formed parent company Crystal Ball Media, with Kelly Brant, daughter of its former owner Peter Brant, and Jason Nikic, former chief revenue officer, at the helm. According to a report in Business of Fashion, Kelly Brant insists that her parents are no longer part of Interview in any capacity – the magazine having owed a debt of over $11 million under her father’s leadership.
In its new incarnation, the magazine has Mel Ottenberg, Rihanna’s longtime stylist, as creative director; Richard Turley as editorial director; Samantha Adler as photography director; Lauren Tabac-Bank as entertainment director; and Nick Haramis remaining as editor in chief. Of the September issue, Ottenberg told BoF: “I wanted it to look completely different from what it was before… colourful, breathing and humorous”. It features Dev Hynes and Mason Ramsey, Nadia Lee Cohen and George Condo, King Princess and contributions from Ryan McKinley, Petra Collins, Ibrahim Kamara and Pierre-Ange Carlotti.
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- Matthew Jones gives insight into Accept & Proceed's work for Nasa
- Illustrator Jordan Awan on fulfilling his childhood dream
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!