The video is the second time the two have worked together following Norbert’s VR experience Das Problem der Befahrung des Weltraums for Daydreaming With… Stanley Kubrick, last year’s exhibition at Somerset House co-curated by James. He approached Norbert to work on this latest project to bring his “reputation for innovation and imaginative distortion of convention”.
Filmed using a drone “unleashed” on the American wilderness, the video for The Road travels through desolate landscapes bathed in dramatic light and shadow, navigating a series of scenes from all angles. Director Norbert and executive producer James have applied what they call a “post-apocalyptic sensibility and edit”, producing the film which they say “describes the ever present conflict between natural landscape and human progress”.
Unkle’s album The Road Part 1 is out 23 June 2017.
- Nicolas Garner explores the clash of digital and organic in his hyperreal imagery
- Dennis Church’s 12-year project sees him capture the visual noise of America’s streets
- Hudson Christie’s illustration trickery uses depth to create textured, flat pieces
- A rare interview with enigmatic and cherished photographer, Nguan
- Karen Asher photographs the people and happenings of Winnipeg, Canada
- Nieves founder Benjamin Sommerhalder shares his passion for books and zines
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner