Channel 4 has commissioned Fern, a six minute short film written and directed by Johnny Kelly starring Bafta winning Monica Dolan and produced by Nexus Studios. The short film won Best Comedy Short at Rhode Island Film Festival last week and is now available for our viewing pleasure on Vimeo.
Fern is a wonky black comedy about a woman and a planet who fall in love. Monica portrays a lonely lady devoted to the care of a neglected house plant and their relationship unexpectedly blossoms. Shot over three days in the It’s Nice That favourite’s London home, the director brings his animation prowess to the live action short film in the form of a plant puppet. The short film is comedically paced giving light to the acting excellence of Monica and the idiosyncratic movement of the plant.
The short has travelled internationally from Naples to Australia spreading its light-hearted, black comedy. Johnny is no stranger to film festivals, the Cannes Grand-Prix winner has previously created animations for the likes of Facebook, Chipotle and Apple. We hope that this short live action film is the first of many for a director moving from strength to strength.
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- Matthew Jones gives insight into Accept & Proceed's work for Nasa
- Illustrator Jordan Awan on fulfilling his childhood dream
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!