Channel 4 has commissioned Fern, a six minute short film written and directed by Johnny Kelly starring Bafta winning Monica Dolan and produced by Nexus Studios. The short film won Best Comedy Short at Rhode Island Film Festival last week and is now available for our viewing pleasure on Vimeo.
Fern is a wonky black comedy about a woman and a planet who fall in love. Monica portrays a lonely lady devoted to the care of a neglected house plant and their relationship unexpectedly blossoms. Shot over three days in the It’s Nice That favourite’s London home, the director brings his animation prowess to the live action short film in the form of a plant puppet. The short film is comedically paced giving light to the acting excellence of Monica and the idiosyncratic movement of the plant.
The short has travelled internationally from Naples to Australia spreading its light-hearted, black comedy. Johnny is no stranger to film festivals, the Cannes Grand-Prix winner has previously created animations for the likes of Facebook, Chipotle and Apple. We hope that this short live action film is the first of many for a director moving from strength to strength.
- Michael Cox's latest paintings turn the artist's attention to the comfort of suburbia
- Though gothic typeface FH Fraktur may not be legible, it certainly is fun
- Da大 by Beijing-based ori.studio reimagines the format of the interview
- Erik Kessels on why he's collected 2000 records featuring large groups of people
- Ka-Man Tse photographs the marginalised lives of Hong Kong's queer community
- Tres Tipos Gráficos balances references with ingenuity in its design for printed matter
- Pentagram’s Michael Bierut talks us through his Slack brand reboot
- "Logos date like clothes": Six designers debate what makes an ideal brand identity
- B.A.M's new identity for White Cube is an “evolution rather than a revolution”
- An egg beats Kylie Jenner to become the most liked Instagram photo... ever
- Village Green talks us through its identity for the 2019 D&AD Festival
- Viviana Troya presents egg-based optical illusions in new work Hatchery