Channel 4 has commissioned Fern, a six minute short film written and directed by Johnny Kelly starring Bafta winning Monica Dolan and produced by Nexus Studios. The short film won Best Comedy Short at Rhode Island Film Festival last week and is now available for our viewing pleasure on Vimeo.
Fern is a wonky black comedy about a woman and a planet who fall in love. Monica portrays a lonely lady devoted to the care of a neglected house plant and their relationship unexpectedly blossoms. Shot over three days in the It’s Nice That favourite’s London home, the director brings his animation prowess to the live action short film in the form of a plant puppet. The short film is comedically paced giving light to the acting excellence of Monica and the idiosyncratic movement of the plant.
The short has travelled internationally from Naples to Australia spreading its light-hearted, black comedy. Johnny is no stranger to film festivals, the Cannes Grand-Prix winner has previously created animations for the likes of Facebook, Chipotle and Apple. We hope that this short live action film is the first of many for a director moving from strength to strength.
- Maddie Williams works with majority repurposed materials in her renewable textiles practice
- Paloma Proudfoot's debut UK exhibition - The Detachable Head Serves as a Cup - is as intriguing as its title
- Studio Tillack Knöll’s ultimate goal is to communicate, rather than just design for design’s sake
- Adrian Kay Wong and Printed Goods visually interpret being twins for their collaborative poster
- Multimedia artist Eilen Itzel Mena explores the survival of Afro-diasporic people
- David Robert Elliott's photographs of young runners examine aspiration and self-worth
- “Go, go, go”: how DIA messed with design theory, only to improve it
- Times Newer Roman is the typeface that might help you beat page counts with ease
- Dairy drinks and cigarettes meet in Lucas Reis' illustrative evocations of Japan
- Ogilvy collaborates with World Afro Day for new awareness campaign
- Emily Schofield’s graphic design practice balances function with irrationality and expression
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy