Pioneering underground film director Jonas Mekas has passed away at the age of 96, at his home in New York.
The Lithuanian-American filmmaker, writer, and artist was a hugely influential figure in the New York underground scene in the 1960s and beyond, having worked with the likes of Salvador Dali, the Velvet Underground, and Yoko Ono.
After arriving in the city after the Second World War, he would go on to found important publication Film Culture as well as being instrumental in the creation of, the Film-Maker’s Co-operative; the first artist-run organisation devoted to the dissemination of moving image art, which he co-founded alongside Stanley Brakhage and Shirley Clarke amongst others.
He also wrote a long-running film column in much-loved independent American magazine The Village Voice.
A statement posted on the artist’s Facebook page states, “Jonas passed away quietly and peacefully early this morning. He was at home with family. He will be greatly missed but his light shines on.”
Back in October 2018 we spoke to German design duo Bremer & Storz about its Conversations with Filmmakers project, the first edition of which was focused squarely on Jonas and his bulging body of avant-garde work.
Read that back and celebrate the life of one of 20th Century experimental filmmaking’s most singular figures.
- Office supplies plan, sweat, struggle and stress in Philotheus Nisch's recent series for Die Epilog
- It’s been another busy year of cultural design projects for Badesaison
- Kengo Kuma tells us why we need “a new period of natural design”
- The essentials of handling your finances as a graduate, junior or freelance creative
- Painter Nick McPhail uses Renaissance techniques to make his architectural landscapes “glow”
- Photographer George Muncey on making the most of what's available
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Job interviews: Pentagram, Wieden+Kennedy and Bureau Borsche on how to get them and what to say
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!