Manolo Blahnik is the man who heeled Sex And The City’s protagonist Carrie Bradshaw through dates, break-ups, proposals and er, muggings, so it’s only fair that Manolo got some screen time of his own.
Following a spar of recently launched and hugely successful feature-length fashion documentaries like Iris and Dior and I, the shoe designer has been granted his own film, directed by Michael Roberts. The trailer for the curiously-named Manolo: The Boy Who Made Shoes for Lizards shows flashes of flamboyant footwear made by the designer. “I used to make shoes for lizards,” he laughs.
With interviews from a Met Gala-worthy list of stars including Anna Wintour (“I can’t remember the last time I wore anyone else’s shoes, I mean I just don’t even look at them!”), Paloma Picasso, Candace Bushnell, Jamie Preto, Rihanna and Naomi Campbell, the film is set to solidify Manolo’s icon status.
Manolo: The Boy Who Made Shoes for Lizards will be released on 15 September in New York and LA on 15 September followed by a limited release in cities worldwide during September and October.
- A real bobby-dazzler, it’s Best of the Web!
- Max Guther is back with more hyper real illustrations visualising social trends
- The Igor has landed: Igor Bastidas on our animated cover for Printed Pages AW17
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum