Illustrator McBess has been commissioned by design agency Iris to capture the characters of St Patrick’s Day for a Guinness campaign. Arguably the stout brand’s biggest day of the year, the illustrations will be used “everywhere you can buy a Guinness” over the weekend, from beer mats and bar displays to T-shirts and posters.
The illustrations show the “eclectic mix” of creatures who might find common ground in a pint of Guinness, from bikers, hipsters and jockeys to surfers, sapeurs and the iconic Toucan.
Nina Taylor, creative director at Iris, says that McBess was ideal for this campaign. “His bold, monochromatic style suits Guinness’ distinct aesthetic and his quirky, interesting characters playfully brought the campaign idea to life. We wanted an illustrator who could imaginatively capture and celebrate all of the unique characters you’ll meet over a pint or two of Guinness on St.Patrick’s Day.”
McBess commented on the project, in a way only he could: “Well it’s not everyday that I can work for something that quenches my thirst for both black and white illustrations and black and white beverages. I wish every job would involve black and white beer and black and white drawings.”
- Malika Favre talks about studying engineering, her first job and tight deadlines from The New Yorker
- Say what you see, it’s Best of the Web!
- The art of plane watching captured by Mindaugas Kavaliauskas
- Friday Mixtape: escape from the world with Xenoula's ethereal mix
- Towers of Thanks: Res photographs their mother's life working for Donald Trump
- A world of pain: Sixteen Journal's latest issue
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner