This Monday Game of Thrones returns to our screens for its penultimate series. Time magazine has dedicated a whole issue to the most popular TV show in the world and commissioned British fashion photographer Miles Aldridge to shoot the stars for the cover.
For the shoot, which features Kit Harrington, Maisie Williams, Peter Dinklage and more, Miles sought inspiration in Renaissance portraiture and combined them with pop-art and psychedelic colours. In an interview with Time he cites Albrecht Dürer and Lucas Cranach as influences for the photos, stating both artists worked with “bizarre super reality of detail” with top notes of “Protestant Lutheran purity. These sort of images were fascinating because of their insane attention to detail.”
For the cover image the photographer “looked to stripped-back interpretations of The Last Supper for composition and Cy Twombly for colour.” Due to the commitments of the cast, Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen) had to be photographed two days later and Photoshopped into the image.
The latest issue of Time is available now.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled