This Monday Game of Thrones returns to our screens for its penultimate series. Time magazine has dedicated a whole issue to the most popular TV show in the world and commissioned British fashion photographer Miles Aldridge to shoot the stars for the cover.
For the shoot, which features Kit Harrington, Maisie Williams, Peter Dinklage and more, Miles sought inspiration in Renaissance portraiture and combined them with pop-art and psychedelic colours. In an interview with Time he cites Albrecht Dürer and Lucas Cranach as influences for the photos, stating both artists worked with “bizarre super reality of detail” with top notes of “Protestant Lutheran purity. These sort of images were fascinating because of their insane attention to detail.”
For the cover image the photographer “looked to stripped-back interpretations of The Last Supper for composition and Cy Twombly for colour.” Due to the commitments of the cast, Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen) had to be photographed two days later and Photoshopped into the image.
The latest issue of Time is available now.
- Meet the speakers: Dougal Wilson, Ewen Spencer, GraphicDesign& and Gal-dem
- Claire Hentschker: the artist who recreated The Shining as an interactive 3D space
- Rosanna Webster and Phoebe Henry’s cinematic portrait of Cuba
- Alex Hunting’s crisp editorial designs are considered and multi-layered
- Raine Allen Miller’s latest ad shows kids experiencing the “side effects” of tech toys
- Colin Pantall's warm depiction of childhood and fatherhood taken over 12 years
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner