Ustwo Games has launched a sequel to Monument Valley, the hugely popular and award-winning IOS and Android game it released in 2014. Monument Valley 2 visually echoes the original, with isometric-style, Escher-inspired architectural puzzles to navigate, in a rich colour scheme, but this time users play as a mother and daughter character team.
The 16-level game is set in the same universe, Ustwo Games says, telling the story of the duo as they “embark on a journey of discovery through a stunning and impossible world”. Artwork for the geometric virtual structures is inspired by a mixture of architectural styles and artistic movements, as well as mid-century illustration, theatre, toy design and confectionary. Throughout the game, the landscapes morph and the characters’ relationship evolves.
“We wanted to find the perfect reason to return to Monument Valley,” says Dan Gray, head of studio at Ustwo Games, “and the story of a mother who’s not only a parent but a creator of this world is a narrative we felt compelled to tell. We spent two years hiring some of the industry’s most talented people for this team, and we’re excited to show this whole new take on a game fans have been asking for.”
The original Monument Valley has been downloaded 30 million times and even featured on House of Cards. It is available to download here for iOS. Watch a trailer and behind the scenes film below.
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice