Dutch architecture firm OMA has won an international competition to design a “cutting-edge arts venue” in Manchester. Called The Factory, it will be the first major public building in the UK by the world renowned architect. OMA founder Rem Koolhaas and partners Ellen van Loon and David Gianotten will lead the project that is expected to start on site in 2016 and complete in 2019.
The Factory will produce and present work from a wide range of disciplines incorporating theatre, music, dance, technology, film, TV, media and live relays, scientific advancements and the connections between them – all under one roof. This ambitious programme will allow the hosting of more than one new work of significant scale to be shown and created at the same time to an audience of up to 7000.
Rem Koolhaas, founder of OMA said: “I am delighted that we have won the competition to design The Factory and look forward to realising this radical arts building for Manchester. It is wonderful to participate in the longstanding renaissance of the city, and particularly the Festival, where real experimentation is expected.”
The new commission is the latest in a series of high profile arts projects for the practice that has completed the Fondazione Prada in Milan and the Garage Museum of Contemporary Art in Moscow this year. For Manchester, the building will form part of a cultural renaissance for the city that includes new and refurbished arts venues such as Home, designed by Dutch architect Mecanoo, and the Stirling Prize shortlisted Whitworth Gallery.
- Photographer Daniel Weiss tells the story of the New York he grew up with
- Córdova Canillas seamlessly designs a multi-format furniture catalogue with seven photographers
- The year of the gif: Studio Feixen’s multitude of moving posters
- Veronika Minder's book, Art Décor, explores the life of bon viveur Bob Steffen (NSFW)
- Mainstudio's publications merge conceptual art, architecture and graphic design
- “I like the idea of giving up on trying to do the right thing”: inside the chaotic world of artist Dale Lewis
- Graphic designer Bryan Rivera references mistakes and imperfections in his portfolio
- Adidas releases trainers that are also public transport tickets
- Compare your selfies to fine art through the Google Arts and Culture app’s newest feature
- Practical portfolio advice, from choosing a specialism to solving real problems
- Meet Monkey Type, an international collective bananas about fonts
- The Papier Machine collection of DIY electronic paper toys reinvents the activity book