Pantone has announced its Colour of the Year 2018 is Ultra Violet, or Pantone 18-3838 TCX. Unveiled in The New York Times, the announcement is based on in-depth research, trend forecasting and analysis of current culture.
“The colour we select to be our Pantone Colour of the Year is one which we think best communicates what is taking place in our global culture at a moment in time,” says vice president of Pantone Laurie Pressman in an interview with Pixartprinting. “A colour we see crossing all areas of design that serves as an expression of a mood and an attitude on the part of the consumers.” The colour, Laurie says, is “reflective of the collective mindset… the popularity of a colour is symbolic of the age we are living in.”
Laurie says to select the colour, the Pantone team analyses trends and looks out for “the colour we see as ascending and building in importance”. They look at the entertainment industry, films in production, travelling art collections and new artists, street style, fashion, design, popular travel destinations and socio-economic conditions. “Influences may also stem from new technologies, materials, textures and effects that impact colour, relevant social media platforms and even up-coming sporting events that capture worldwide attention,” she says.
Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Colour Institute, told The New York Times Ultra Violet “communicates originality, ingenuity and visionary thinking” and cited Frank Lloyd Wright, composer Wagner and Prince as influences.
- Brr it’s cold in here, it must be Best of the Web in the atmosphere!
- Is it real, or is it not? Mirror Mirror's identity for Integrated 2017
- Alex Moy’s animation explores where our minds drift off to when we’re distracted
- Friday Mixtape: Jake Chapman’s band, Funhole
- Islena Neira’s halftone animation depicts a sleepless night
- Hezin O’s charmingly illustrated 2018 calendar inspired by A-Z cards for children
- Pantone Colour of the Year 2018 has been announced
- Renowned graphic designer Ivan Chermayeff has died aged 85
- Marina Lewandowska’s graduation project shows graphic design flair and function
- Pentagram partner Natasha Jen shares her most inspirational books
- Photographer Ivar Wigan on his new collaboration with larrydavid420
- Loud, vibrant, evocative: Paul Gorman tells The Story of The Face