Photographer Petra Collins will curate an evening at New York’s MoMA, titled In Search of Us. The event this Saturday 18 March aims to explore representation of the female body in art history and contemporary contexts, combining live performance, music and digital art. It is the latest in the PopRally series of events at MoMA, an initiative looking to engage younger and more diverse audiences with the museum.
Petra has developed the programme with collaborator Madelyne Beckles, drawing inspiration from Lorraine O’Grady’s 1992 essay Olympia’s Maid: Reclaiming Black Female Subjectivity. The live performance segment of the evening will “confront traditional representations of the female body throughout the art-historical canon,” says MoMA, “which tended to exclude bodies of work by such historical “others” as women, gender nonconforming individuals, and persons of colour.”
Examining this from a contemporary point of view, Petra is presenting “an homage to the odalisque”, which highlights how women’s bodies have been revered and degraded.
For Instagram, Madelyne Beckles, Grace Miceli and Aleia Murawski have created short films exploring the same subject. The evening will also feature live music from rapper Junglepussy and DJ Madeline Poole.
PopRally Presents Petra Collins: In Search of Us takes place from 8pm – 11pm on 18 March 2017.
- LuckyMe's Lunice film for Apple Music is a theatrical trip through 90s hip hop videos
- Printed Pages AW17 is now available for pre-order – with exclusive prints, a party and more!
- Tatiana Ermolaeva's coherent “but not too slick” work for the Strelka Bar
- BBC’s David Bailey’s must watch talk for font fanatics from Nicer Tuesdays
- Shin Morae translates her memories into pastel illustrations
- Sarah Meyohas combines virtual reality, 10,000 roses and artificial intelligence in Cloud of Petals
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum