Ravi Amaratunga Hitchcock, formerly i-D global executive producer and a commissioner at Channel 4, has launched the first project to come out of his production company Pi Studios. I Was There When House Took Over The World is a two-part documentary series directed by Jake Sumner (Sting and Trudy Styler’s son) charting the birth of house music, available to watch online in the UK on All 4.
The documentary explores the genre from its origins in Chicago through to its takeover of the UK club scene, and features interviews with Nile Rodgers, Marshall Jefferson, Jesse Saunders, Chip E, Steve ‘Silk’ Hurley and Honey Dijon. It was made in association with New York-based production outfit, AllDayEveryday. Media partner Lad Bible will release short excerpts through Instagram Stories.
“The death of disco and the birth of house is such an incredible story that is as relevant to the music culture today as it was then,” says Channel 4’s Thom Gulseven. “It’s been great work with Pi Studios on new ways of telling such an iconic story, from mid-form episodes for All 4, right down to 15 second documentary cut downs that can extend the reach of the project as far as possible."
Pi Studios is part of Amsterdam agency We Are Pi. The series is available to watch now on All 4.
- Manshen Lo creates surreal, comic-inspired observational illustrations
- “To me, being a man just means being yourself”: five creatives share their thoughts on masculinity
- Hexatope: the web-app utilising computational arts to make personalised jewellery
- Lucy Hardcastle on her “most progressive film to date”
- Moby Digg creates grid-based identity for finance company Baugeld Spezialisten
- Typography and National Socialism – the journey of Futura in an era of "reactionary modernity"
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum