Arts Council England, Channel 4 and Random Acts are launching a free short film festival showcasing young directors, which will be co-curated and hosted at the ICA.
Playback Festival: in association with Random Acts, will take place 9 – 12 March, and will include 145 short films made by creatives aged 16 – 24 across animation, music, spoken word and dance. Alongside screenings, the festival will feature speakers and events from partners including Dazed, Topsafe and Pulse Films.
Following the festival there will be a national tour, which will take the films to venues around the UK until spring 2018.
Random Acts is an initiative which aims to “showcase bold expressions of creativity” and generate access and awareness among young people to an industry which is often considered hard to access. Random Acts has partnered with Calling the Shots, Rural Media Company, Screen South and Tyneside Cinema as Random Acts Network Centres, supporting new talent in diverse areas of the UK.
- A real bobby-dazzler, it’s Best of the Web!
- Max Guther is back with more hyper real illustrations visualising social trends
- The Igor has landed: Igor Bastidas on our animated cover for Printed Pages AW17
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum