Wieden + Kennedy group creative director Craig Allen has directed an interactive music video for Real Estate’s latest song Stained Glass which allows viewers to colour in the line-drawn video as it plays.
Billed as the first of its kind, the video features the band moving through a woodland landscape with mountains on the horizon, all animated in black lines on a white background ready to be filled in with colour. The viewer can choose from a palette of ‘paints’ with varying tones, and click and drag to customise the animation with their chosen colours. A fully coloured-in version has also been made by the band.
“We were collectively excited by making a video that the band could create with their fans rather than for them,” says Craig. “I’ve always been excited to find new ways of making content and this video is a fun – dare I say therapeutic – thing to play with, where you actually get to feel like you accomplish something at the end. That’s what is exciting to all of us and we’re extremely proud of what we’ve been able to create with the help of the fabulous MediaMonks team.”
Try it out for yourself here or watch the completed version below.
- Nicolas Garner explores the clash of digital and organic in his hyperreal imagery
- Dennis Church’s 12-year project sees him capture the visual noise of America’s streets
- Hudson Christie’s illustration trickery uses depth to create textured, flat pieces
- A rare interview with enigmatic and cherished photographer, Nguan
- Karen Asher photographs the people and happenings of Winnipeg, Canada
- Nieves founder Benjamin Sommerhalder shares his passion for books and zines
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner