Pop round It’s Nice That’s house on a Sunday afternoon and you’re likely to catch us stuck to the sofa while Katamari Damacay or Euro Truck Simulator 2: Beyond the Baltic Sea flickers across the telly. For that reason, we were intrigued when we discovered that Red Bull Media House has been working on a six-part series that takes viewers behind the scenes at some of the most innovative and inventive video game development studios around.
The series, titled Levels launches today (21 January) and offers an intriguing insight into how independent studios are taking on the big-money behemoths at their own game, producing some of the most interesting games on the market today.
The titles featured in this first series of Levels include Star Citizen (the most crowd-funded game of all time), a new game developed by the man responsible for beloved adventure franchise Assassins Creed and Cuphead (a hand-drawn animated game developed by a pair of brothers).
- Victor Fonseca treats his graphic design practice like a “playground”
- Photographer Jack Latham investigates the hidden conspiracies of Bohemian Grove
- Stella Park’s warm illustrations reflect her outlook on life
- Ugly beauty and challenging established norms feature in Jade Palace's collaboration with Yat Pit
- Astrid Seme elevates an artist’s work by challenging it through the lens of design
- Elizabeth Hibbard’s unsettling photographs examine subjective experience with a visceral gaze
- New study claims to pinpoint the most creative time of day, down to the minute
- Singapore-based studio Swell explores the idea of the banished book
- "My little niece and my grandmother like the game equally": how Playables made the simply addictive Kids
- In being "open to possibilities" still life painter Duane Keiser paints the everyday joys of life
- What the cluck? KFC releases limited-edition bucket hat
- For Bizzarri-Rodriguez, book design “is everything except a science”