Juergen Teller’s new London studio space, designed by 6a architects is on the six-strong shortlist for the Stirling Prize that recongises the best British architecture of the past year. The winner of the award will be announced at a ceremony at London’s Roundhouse on 31 October.
The shortlist for 2017, drawn from a long-list of regional nominees is:
– Barretts Grove by Amin Taha and Groupwork for Nick Grant
– City of Glasgow College City Campus by Reiach and Hall Architects and Michael Laird Architects for City of Glasgow College
– Command of the Oceans by Baynes and Mitchell Architects for Chatham Historic Dockyard
– Hastings Pier by dRMM Architects for Hastings Pier Charity
– Photography Studio by 6a Architects for Juergen Teller LTD
– The British Museum World Conservation and Exhibitions Centre by Rogers Stirk Harbour and Partners for the British Museum
You can learn more about each building here.
Speaking about the shortlist RIBA President Jane Duncan said: “The RIBA Stirling Prize is awarded to the building that has made the biggest contribution to the evolution of architecture in a given year.
“This year’s shortlisted schemes show exceptionally creative, beautifully considered and carefully detailed buildings that have made every single penny count. Commissioned at the end of the recession, they are an accolade to a creative profession at the top of its game. Each of these outstanding projects has transformed their local area and delights those who are lucky enough to visit, live, study or work in them.”
Last year the prize was awarded to the Newport Street Gallery by Caruso St John architects, which is owned by artist Damian Hirst. Past winners include Zaha Hadid, Norman Foster and Haworth Tompkins.
- Photographer Daniel Weiss tells the story of the New York he grew up with
- Córdova Canillas seamlessly designs a multi-format furniture catalogue with seven photographers
- The year of the gif: Studio Feixen’s multitude of moving posters
- Veronika Minder's book, Art Décor, explores the life of bon viveur Bob Steffen (NSFW)
- Mainstudio's publications merge conceptual art, architecture and graphic design
- “I like the idea of giving up on trying to do the right thing”: inside the chaotic world of artist Dale Lewis
- Graphic designer Bryan Rivera references mistakes and imperfections in his portfolio
- Adidas releases trainers that are also public transport tickets
- Compare your selfies to fine art through the Google Arts and Culture app’s newest feature
- Practical portfolio advice, from choosing a specialism to solving real problems
- Meet Monkey Type, an international collective bananas about fonts
- The Papier Machine collection of DIY electronic paper toys reinvents the activity book