Thanks to Roxy’s gloriously kinetic video for forthcoming single Penalties of Love the 22-year-old is now blipping around on there like a fleet of nuclear submarines heading for the US seaboard. In a good way, obviously. “Sequoyah’s voice and the way he moves really does evoke the effortless silkiness and the sexiness of iconic popstars like Prince and Grace Jones,” the Little Pyongyang director tells us.
It was that sexiness and silkiness which led Roxy to decide to work with stylist Neesha Champaneria and makeup artist Grace Ellington to build outfits from scratch that’d bring the sultry stylishness of those aforementioned pop legends into the 21st century.
Roxy and the rest of the creative team decided to visually mirror the song’s break-up theme, “from the deconstructed shirt showing how after a break up you’re exposed and there are holes to patch and a self to rebuild, to the white ensemble made of lots of white shirts sewn together as if to show how he’s grown thicker skin, and built himself back up again.”
The video premieres today on Boiler Room’s 4:3 platform.
- Izabela Jurcewicz uses her camera to become both a surgeon and a patient
- XYZ Lab designs a removable and “grotesque” fifth issue for Rouge Fashion Book
- Relive the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer through Summer of Something Special
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories