Amorepacific is one of the largest cosmetic companies in the world. Its new corporate headquarters in Seoul, South Korea is housed in a new building designed by David Chipperfield Architects while Pentagram partner Sascha Lobe and his team, have designed the architectural branding, environmental graphics and signage for the new headquarters.
The two creative powerhouses collaborated closely to deliver “a fully integrated solution that is harmonious with the building’s architecture and geographic surroundings." In line with Amorepacific’s brand and mission, the geometric building design is formed of uniform and symmetrical cuboids. In keeping with the architectural geometry, Sascha Lobe and his team “devise a matrix that uses Hangul-inspired pictograms to orientate the visitors” and considers the sites geographical location in the architectural design of the building.
Within the building, the English, Chinese and Korean language are widely used and as a result, the graphic designers were faced with the challenge of ensuring a delicate typographic balance across the three contrasting written forms. As a result, Sascha and his team decidedly designed a Hangul-inspired custom typeface to fulfil this criteria of readability. The letterforms, numerals and pictograms throughout the building are “pared-back, stencilled fonts”, constructed using the traditional Hangul method which fortifies “a balanced and consistent visual language throughout the space.”
- “I absolutely hated it”: Heath West on why he left architecture for the art industry
- Hubert Crabières captures a brilliantly absurd celebrating family for Edicola
- Illustrator Holly St Clair uses the rhythm of a joke in her portfolio of sculptures, textiles and prints
- Jules Durant aims to “design cool new fonts” beyond the Latin alphabet
- For Alice Franchetti, graphic design is the sweet spot where maths and intuition meet
- Lucy Sherston finds that leaving out parts of a composition is just as important as the bits kept in
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Spotify wants you to listen to more podcasts, so it's redesigned its app
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Illustrator Faye Moorhouse has made a trilogy of zines about her cat
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!