Amorepacific is one of the largest cosmetic companies in the world. Its new corporate headquarters in Seoul, South Korea is housed in a new building designed by David Chipperfield Architects while Pentagram partner Sascha Lobe and his team, have designed the architectural branding, environmental graphics and signage for the new headquarters.
The two creative powerhouses collaborated closely to deliver “a fully integrated solution that is harmonious with the building’s architecture and geographic surroundings." In line with Amorepacific’s brand and mission, the geometric building design is formed of uniform and symmetrical cuboids. In keeping with the architectural geometry, Sascha Lobe and his team “devise a matrix that uses Hangul-inspired pictograms to orientate the visitors” and considers the sites geographical location in the architectural design of the building.
Within the building, the English, Chinese and Korean language are widely used and as a result, the graphic designers were faced with the challenge of ensuring a delicate typographic balance across the three contrasting written forms. As a result, Sascha and his team decidedly designed a Hangul-inspired custom typeface to fulfil this criteria of readability. The letterforms, numerals and pictograms throughout the building are “pared-back, stencilled fonts”, constructed using the traditional Hangul method which fortifies “a balanced and consistent visual language throughout the space.”
- Michael Cox's latest paintings turn the artist's attention to the comfort of suburbia
- Though gothic typeface FH Fraktur may not be legible, it certainly is fun
- Da大 by Beijing-based ori.studio reimagines the format of the interview
- Erik Kessels on why he's collected 2000 records featuring large groups of people
- Ka-Man Tse photographs the marginalised lives of Hong Kong's queer community
- Tres Tipos Gráficos balances references with ingenuity in its design for printed matter
- Pentagram’s Michael Bierut talks us through his Slack brand reboot
- "Logos date like clothes": Six designers debate what makes an ideal brand identity
- B.A.M's new identity for White Cube is an “evolution rather than a revolution”
- An egg beats Kylie Jenner to become the most liked Instagram photo... ever
- Village Green talks us through its identity for the 2019 D&AD Festival
- Viviana Troya presents egg-based optical illusions in new work Hatchery