Stack has announced the shortlist for its annual magazine awards, with 350 entries narrowed down to 15 nominees in 11 categories. These include awards dedicated to this year’s best art director, editor, cover, new launch, use of photography and illustration, and the top prize, magazine of the year.
The shortlist for launch of the year includes Accent, Ordinary and Rough Trade Magazine, while the magazine of the year list features MacGuffin, The Happy Reader, Disegno and feminism and witchcraft magazine Sabat. Nominees for art director of the year include Elephant and The Outpost, and the magazines nominated for best use of illustration include Mundial, Fiera and Root + Bone.
Printed Pages, It’s Nice That’s magazine, has been nominated for cover of the year alongside The Gourmand, The Pitchfork Review and The Gentlewoman.
The awards will be judged by a panel including New York Times Magazine design director Gail Bichler, Christoph Amend, editor-in-chief of ZEITmagazin, and Debbie Millman, former president of AIGA. The winners will be announced on 17 November.
- Meet the speakers: Dougal Wilson, Ewen Spencer, GraphicDesign& and Gal-dem
- Claire Hentschker: the artist who recreated The Shining as an interactive 3D space
- Rosanna Webster and Phoebe Henry’s cinematic portrait of Cuba
- Alex Hunting’s crisp editorial designs are considered and multi-layered
- Raine Allen Miller’s latest ad shows kids experiencing the “side effects” of tech toys
- Colin Pantall's warm depiction of childhood and fatherhood taken over 12 years
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner