The South by South West Film Awards were announced last night at the Texas festival, honouring designers and directors across 17 categories.
London-based animation director Nicolas Menard won Best Animated Short for Wednesday with Goddard, while short animation Pussy by young Polish director Renata Gasiorowska was given a special jury recognition.
Director Miles Jay won best music video for Leon Bridges’ River, which was also nominated for a Grammy, and the video for Tame Impala’s The Less I Know the Better directed by Canada was given a special jury recognition prize.
Caspar Newbolt won the award for excellence in poster design for his artwork for Laura Moss’ film Fry Day, and special jury recognition went to Jeremy Enecio’s poster for Like Me.
Chris R. Moberg and Jared Young won the award for excellence in title design for Into the Current.
The top prizes of the evening went to Ana Asensio’s feature film Most Beautiful Island, a directing debut for the Spanish TV actor which won best narrative feature; and The Work by Jairus McLeary and Gethin Aldous, which won best documentary feature.
- Rosie Matheson’s series, Boys, explores the nuanced nature of modern masculinity
- Heavyweight Foundry on its pragmatic yet inventive approach to typography
- Illustrator Tim Lahan’s latest zine is an “ode to being self-destructive”
- Photographer Nick Ballon's series is a portrait of Bolivia’s second largest city and its people
- Photographer Olivier Degorce's new book lets you snoop in strangers' fridges
- Clean it, beach: Reto Schmid's new fashion series shines light on the plastic waste problem
- Custom Typefaces: are they worth the hype?
- Designer Marc Armand on graphically interpreting the French football team’s kit ahead of the World Cup
- Bonjour Garçon combines photography and graphic design to make "strong and delicate" work
- Iconic film poster designer and illustrator Bill Gold has died aged 97
- "Football's Bayeux Tapestry": behind the scenes of the embroidered BBC World Cup trailer animation
- Matt Groening reveals characters from new animated series Disenchantment (well, partially…)