The South by South West Film Awards were announced last night at the Texas festival, honouring designers and directors across 17 categories.
London-based animation director Nicolas Menard won Best Animated Short for Wednesday with Goddard, while short animation Pussy by young Polish director Renata Gasiorowska was given a special jury recognition.
Director Miles Jay won best music video for Leon Bridges’ River, which was also nominated for a Grammy, and the video for Tame Impala’s The Less I Know the Better directed by Canada was given a special jury recognition prize.
Caspar Newbolt won the award for excellence in poster design for his artwork for Laura Moss’ film Fry Day, and special jury recognition went to Jeremy Enecio’s poster for Like Me.
Chris R. Moberg and Jared Young won the award for excellence in title design for Into the Current.
The top prizes of the evening went to Ana Asensio’s feature film Most Beautiful Island, a directing debut for the Spanish TV actor which won best narrative feature; and The Work by Jairus McLeary and Gethin Aldous, which won best documentary feature.
- Mother Design Callen Lorde Graphic Design 240118
- Stephen Tayo's photographs "create a visual narrative" of everyday encounters
- Photographer Daniel Weiss tells the story of the New York he grew up with
- Córdova Canillas seamlessly designs a multi-format furniture catalogue with seven photographers
- The year of the gif: Studio Feixen’s multitude of moving posters
- Veronika Minder's book, Art Décor, explores the life of bon viveur Bob Steffen (NSFW)
- Graphic designer Bryan Rivera references mistakes and imperfections in his portfolio
- Adidas releases trainers that are also public transport tickets
- Compare your selfies to fine art through the Google Arts and Culture app’s newest feature
- Practical portfolio advice, from choosing a specialism to solving real problems
- Meet Monkey Type, an international collective bananas about fonts
- The Papier Machine collection of DIY electronic paper toys reinvents the activity book