Architect Tate Harmer has unveiled designs for a new heritage and visitor centre for The Scout Association based at Gilwell Park in Chingford in Essex. If Lottery funding is approved the building could open to mark the centenary of Gilwell Park in 2019. The facility aims to become a “celebratory and fun focal point” for the movement and will include an exhibition space that tells the story of founder Robert Baden-Powell and Scouting, a cafe and shop.
The 16,000m2 design was inspired by a “big tent” that will cover the site’s central gathering space and be adorned with the neckerchiefs of Scout troops around the world. At the heart will be a 15m-tall clock and bell tower that will act as a beacon for the centre. The single story buildings that comprise the complex will be constructed using prefabricated, cross laminated timber to blend into the natural setting of the landscape and to align with the “Scouting philosophy of self-reliance and sustainability.”
“The concept is to provide a space for celebration – a place that is rooted in Scouting history, but also looks towards its future. The new Camp Square will be at the beating heart of Gilwell Park and the Scouting movement, and will reflect the energy and diversity of Scouting in the twenty-first century”, says lead architect Jerry Tate of Tate Harmer.
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- Matthew Jones gives insight into Accept & Proceed's work for Nasa
- Illustrator Jordan Awan on fulfilling his childhood dream
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!