Artist Charming Baker has guest edited the Art Special Edition of The Big Issue, under the theme Tipping Point. The issue features contributors including Peter Blake, Paul Smith, Tim Noble and Sue Webster, David Shrigley, Jake and Dinos Chapman, Rachel Howard, Hugo Wilson, Harland Miller, Rob and Nick Carter, Ben Eine, Gina Soden, Jonathan Yeo, Antony Micallef, Mat Collishaw, Chris Levine and Keith Tyson.
It will also publish artworks by The Big Issue vendors, “men and women on the edge of society, either suffering from addiction, mental health or homelessness issues who use art as an outlet to deal with their problems,” says the magazine.
Ten “golden tickets” will be hidden in copies of the special issue, recipients of which will win an exclusive, hand-finished and signed print by Charming or Jonathan. There will also be a Tipping Point exhibition of many of the contributed artworks at Jealous Gallery in Shoreditch, London from 3–16 April 2017.
Charming says the theme Tipping Point reflects “key decisive moments that lives can hinge on, moments that can tip things up or down. The Big Issue vendors know more keenly than most how delicate the balance can be, and how quickly that tipping point can have negative, or down the road, positive effect”.
The Art Special Edition of The Big Issue is out 3 April. The Big Issue is a weekly magazine sold in Britain by people encountering homelessness or poverty.
- In celebration of his new book 2017, Bráulio Amado picks out the work he loves from last year
- Environmental Activism: Why We Need To Shake Up the Visual
- Charlotte Dumortier on her identity for this year's ELCAF and what she's looking forward to most
- Google Fonts Korean becomes interactive by manipulating path data
- Photography series Metamorphosis reimagines iconic female characters as 21st-century women
- National Geographic’s creative director Emmet Smith on the publication’s redesign
- Craig Oldham dishes out brutally honest advice to new graphic designers
- Pentagram rebrands Battersea dogs and cats home to visualise "personality over sentiment"
- V&A announces shortlist for its Illustration Awards 2018
- ManvsMachine create its most ambitious campaign for Air Max Day yet
- Design to improve the general quality of life: exploring Paul Rand's IBM Graphic Standards Manual
- Ten examples of rare letterings, from 19th-century alphabets to preliminary drawings of Futura