Mickey Mouse, that immediately-recognisable symbol of all things American, turns 90 this year. Rather than sending him the funniest card they could find in WH Smith, the team at Vans have decided to bequeath Disney’s biggest name with the best present possible: a bespoke range of shoes that will be released as part of their premium offshoot, Vault.
If that wasn’t enough, the squeaky-voiced mascot will be able to stomp around Epcot in a pair of OG Sk8-Hi LX designed by It’s Nice That favourite Geoff McFetridge. Geoff rounds out a quartet of creatives who’ve worked on the range, with illustrators John Van Hamersveld, Mister Cartoon, and Taka Hayashi also helping the big-eared rodent celebrate his birthday.
Each artist has given the noted glove-lover a distinctive re-rub; SoCal icon John Van Hamersveld does his usual punchy, psychedelic thing, Mister Cartoon has plonked Mickey in a zippy little vintage motor, and Vans stalwart Taka Hayashi has sent the Disney don deep into the clouds, via a hot air balloon. And Geoff? Geoff’s design captures Mickey Mouse in a unique pattern, highlighting his iconic colours – black, red and yellow.
If the idea of bopping down to Aldi in a pair of trainers emblazoned with the world’s most famous animated mouse appeals, the collection is on sale from 25 August.
- Stoic black cats and burning worlds: Quentin Dufour on his chaotic illustrations
- Jiří Makovec’s photographs meander between the personal and the universal
- In photographing the American west, Andong Zheng uncovers hidden traces of Chinese history
- Meet Universal Thirst, the Bangalore and Reykjavik-based foundry offering a dual perspective on type
- Manchester Girls, the new series from Dean Davies, is a visual homage to the women of the north
- Michael Crowe and Ben Denzer craft hilarious book titles and cover designs using Adobe Stock
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories