The World Architecture Festival has revealed its 2018 Awards shortlist. WAF is the world’s largest annual, international live architectural event and will take place in Amsterdam this November.
The 2018 awards programme received more than 1,000 entries for the first time, with numbers up 20 per cent compared with 2017. Architects and designers generated 536 shortlisted entries across 81 countries. The successful shortlist includes a research centre in Riyadh, a village lounge in rural China and a mosque without a minaret in Iran.
All types and sizes of architectural projects are represented on the 536-strong shortlist, ranging from private residential, to education, infrastructure, healthcare, hospitality, cultural/civic, interior and landscape projects.
The 32 award categories included urban and rural landscape projects, civic and community buildings, and culture buildings. These include the Royal Academy of Music Theate in London, Peninsula House in Brazil, the Vali-e-asr mosque in Iran and the Village Lounge of Shangcun.
The theme of this year’s awards will be ‘identity’ and the winners will be revealed at the awards which take place on Nov 28-30.
- This is Antwerp: why you'll want to visit Europe's most atypical city
- A glimpse inside FKA twigs’ year-long pole-performance training schedule
- Graphics studio Brest Brest Brest injects some silliness into French cultural institutions
- Enter the saccharine lunacy of Becky and Joe’s idents for Trolli sweets
- AI personality consultant to digital matte painter: The creative jobs you didn’t know existed
- Antonia Terhedebrügge and Mado Klümper’s identity for Sehsüchte Festival combines “soft forms and edgy lines”
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Spotify wants you to listen to more podcasts, so it's redesigned its app
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Illustrator Faye Moorhouse has made a trilogy of zines about her cat
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!