We’re very excited about this week’s Friday Mixtape, curated by legendary label 4AD. Formed in 1980, the artists signed to the label have consistently put one step forward musically as its name suggests.
From its earlier signings such as Cocteau Twins, Pixies and Bauhaus, 4AD has continued a journey on the side of the alternative, releasing records by Deerhunter, Grimes, Future Islands and The National. 2016 and 2017 sees the label investing in bright young things too, with The Lemon Twigs, Methyl Ethel, Aldous Harding and Pixx each contributing to its legacy.
Over to the experts on their mixtape choices…
Why have you picked these songs, what do they remind you of or make you feel?
A £2 prawn sandwich lament.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
Before you wake up.
What song or album is consistently playing in the 4AD office and why?
NR2 by KWC 92, because Sophie hates it.
If a feature film about 4AD was to be made, what song would be on the trailer?
Iceblink Luck by Cocteau Twins.
- Say what you see, it’s Best of the Web!
- The art of plane watching captured by Mindaugas Kavaliauskas
- Friday Mixtape: escape from the world with Xenoula's ethereal mix
- Towers of Thanks: Res photographs his mother's life working for Donald Trump
- A world of pain: Sixteen Journal's latest issue
- R Kikuo Johnson on the importance of narrative in his illustrations
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner