We’re very excited about this week’s Friday Mixtape, curated by legendary label 4AD. Formed in 1980, the artists signed to the label have consistently put one step forward musically as its name suggests.
From its earlier signings such as Cocteau Twins, Pixies and Bauhaus, 4AD has continued a journey on the side of the alternative, releasing records by Deerhunter, Grimes, Future Islands and The National. 2016 and 2017 sees the label investing in bright young things too, with The Lemon Twigs, Methyl Ethel, Aldous Harding and Pixx each contributing to its legacy.
Over to the experts on their mixtape choices…
Why have you picked these songs, what do they remind you of or make you feel?
A £2 prawn sandwich lament.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
Before you wake up.
What song or album is consistently playing in the 4AD office and why?
NR2 by KWC 92, because Sophie hates it.
If a feature film about 4AD was to be made, what song would be on the trailer?
Iceblink Luck by Cocteau Twins.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled