We’re very excited about this week’s Friday Mixtape, curated by legendary label 4AD. Formed in 1980, the artists signed to the label have consistently put one step forward musically as its name suggests.
From its earlier signings such as Cocteau Twins, Pixies and Bauhaus, 4AD has continued a journey on the side of the alternative, releasing records by Deerhunter, Grimes, Future Islands and The National. 2016 and 2017 sees the label investing in bright young things too, with The Lemon Twigs, Methyl Ethel, Aldous Harding and Pixx each contributing to its legacy.
Over to the experts on their mixtape choices…
Why have you picked these songs, what do they remind you of or make you feel?
A £2 prawn sandwich lament.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
Before you wake up.
What song or album is consistently playing in the 4AD office and why?
NR2 by KWC 92, because Sophie hates it.
If a feature film about 4AD was to be made, what song would be on the trailer?
Iceblink Luck by Cocteau Twins.
- Alice Zoo documents the real day-to-day lives of performers in a travelling circus
- Jenny Schweitzer's latest short is an uplifting account of life in an American retirement home
- Next 2 Nothing is the how-to manual of tips and tricks for any aspiring filmmaker
- Haleigh Mun on finding her own illustrative style rather than trying to be a “cool artist”
- Genuine collaborations inform Swiss design studio Omnigroup's broad practice
- Filmmaker Duncan Cowles on how your own tone of voice can create the best audience reaction
- An egg beats Kylie Jenner to become the most liked Instagram photo... ever
- Mastercard reveals new nameless logo courtesy of Michael Bierut
- Sam Youkilis uses scale, form and colour to challenge the tropes of travel photography
- Betina Du Toit's naturally-beautiful images are “stripped back from the non-essential”
- Giacomo Gambineri on shifting his creative career from graphic designer to illustrator
- Hiroki Nishiyama draws on traditional graphic design techniques in his illustration practice