Actual Source describes itself as a “multi-format publisher” which encompasses what they produce, but not the extent of it. It collaborates with a wealth of creatives whether they be artists, designers or writers.
Actual Source has many representations. It is a physical shop promoting the works of contemporary artists from furniture to publications. Its online platform releases limited edition fonts and collaborates with artists, coming together in a biannual publication, Shoplifters. It’s also attached to design studio, Number 04, providing brand identity and art direction by JP Haynie, Chris Mann and Davis Ngarupe. Its clients include Utah Museum of Contemporary Art, Nomia NYC, Need Supply, Hypebeast and Harvard University. Despite being based in Utah, Actual Source’s multifaceted outreach is worldwide.
Recent collaborations from Actual Source include works with Jan Horcik, Raf Rennie, Hassan Rahim and Catalogue, graphic designers and studios of the moment. A range of these collaborations culminate in the recent issue of Shoplifters which “doesn’t have a single identity, it’ size, paper, typography, and tone changes each time it’s published,” Actual Source explains. Designed and art directed by Number 04, each issue collates the artists Actual Source collaborate with, but in a style that represents the publisher too. For instance the typeface choice for issue five, CCTV is by one of its featured designers, Dinamo, and encapsulates the tone of the publication as well as its content.
- Lee Kan Kyo’s practice involves taking a selfie a day and a loyalty card club
- Office supplies plan, sweat, struggle and stress in Philotheus Nisch's recent series for Die Epilog
- It’s been another busy year of cultural design projects for Badesaison
- Kengo Kuma tells us why we need “a new period of natural design”
- The essentials of handling your finances as a graduate, junior or freelance creative
- Painter Nick McPhail uses Renaissance techniques to make his architectural landscapes “glow”
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Job interviews: Pentagram, Wieden+Kennedy and Bureau Borsche on how to get them and what to say
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!