Actual Source describes itself as a “multi-format publisher” which encompasses what they produce, but not the extent of it. It collaborates with a wealth of creatives whether they be artists, designers or writers.
Actual Source has many representations. It is a physical shop promoting the works of contemporary artists from furniture to publications. Its online platform releases limited edition fonts and collaborates with artists, coming together in a biannual publication, Shoplifters. It’s also attached to design studio, Number 04, providing brand identity and art direction by JP Haynie, Chris Mann and Davis Ngarupe. Its clients include Utah Museum of Contemporary Art, Nomia NYC, Need Supply, Hypebeast and Harvard University. Despite being based in Utah, Actual Source’s multifaceted outreach is worldwide.
Recent collaborations from Actual Source include works with Jan Horcik, Raf Rennie, Hassan Rahim and Catalogue, graphic designers and studios of the moment. A range of these collaborations culminate in the recent issue of Shoplifters which “doesn’t have a single identity, it’ size, paper, typography, and tone changes each time it’s published,” Actual Source explains. Designed and art directed by Number 04, each issue collates the artists Actual Source collaborate with, but in a style that represents the publisher too. For instance the typeface choice for issue five, CCTV is by one of its featured designers, Dinamo, and encapsulates the tone of the publication as well as its content.
- Iggy Ldn's poignant new film Silk reclaims the essence of the jazz era in the 21st century
- Ways of Seeing: Laurie Rowan fills FACT's architectural space with a troop of exploring characters
- Brian Blomerth illustrates a journey to "surf discovery" even though he's terrible at surfing
- Photographer Sam Gregg shoots the true face of Naples
- Prolific artist Miroco Machiko’s animal menagerie
- Émergent Magazine's pages function like the walls of a gallery to showcase contemporary painters
- Netflix unveils Netflix Sans, a new custom typeface developed with Dalton Maag
- Lacoste swaps famous crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- A chat with the Orwellian mastermind in charge of the UK town known as Scarfolk
- Director of Taylor Swift's Delicate video accused of copying Spike Jonze’s Kenzo advert
- Dive into Mikey Joyce's portfolio with its “healthy balance of calculated and convoluted silliness"
- Original sets and puppets from Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs to be exhibited in London