“Web-toy” is a new genre of brain stimulation and not one that we’re completely at ease with, but for the sake of frankenSim, we’re willing to put that to one side. The geniuses over at animation and interactive design studio Animade (which is responsible for this, these, and put these books on its bookshelf. Like we said, geniuses) have just created frankenSim, a “grotesque, pink-hued dissection of the human body, with interconnecting pop-up windows containing organs to manipulate,” as the studio describes it. “Rolling eyeballs, blonde locks riddled with lice and a pluckable hairy nostril are among the malleable body bits in this virtual laboratory, with more absurd twists and surprises emerging as you continue to explore.”
It sounds gross, right? And it is, but it’s also delightfully satisfying, utterly addictive and quite honourable in its literary references. “In part, frankenSim is a musing on how Frankenstein might have experimented with modern web tools,” the studio continues. “The strapline ‘Tools for the Postmodern Prometheus’ is in fact a reference to the alternative name for Mary Shelley’s classic Frankenstein story, The Modern Prometheus.”
Created as a result of the strange magic which happens when Animade’s interactive and animation design teams come together, frankenSim was made for the fun of it, and resulted from its Lido Sim animation, a piece designed and directed by Milo Targett. If you need us, we’ll be combing out some nits and picking our virtual noses.
- Graphic designer Si Weon Kim's side projects explore her culture, creating historical homages
- Will Anderson’s Bafta-nominated animation Have Heart follows a gif stuck in an infinite loop
- Looking east: how Smörgåsbord designed a soju brand to work in Europe and Asia alike
- The lonely claustrophobia of Adam Reynolds’ nuclear missile site series
- TwoPoints.Net design a typeface for ESPN The Magazine's Winter Olympics 2018 issue
- A chat with the Orwellian mastermind in charge of the UK town known as Scarfolk
- Lacoste swaps famous crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- Director of Taylor Swift's Delicate video accused of copying Spike Jonze’s Kenzo advert
- Rihanna's new advert shows that her make-up line is for all genders
- Dive into Mikey Joyce's portfolio with its “healthy balance of calculated and convoluted silliness"
- Jim Carrey is now a political cartoonist and he's taking down the Trump presidency
- These Swedish kids designed a typeface to celebrate their neighbourhood