Animation director Daniel Britt’s latest work sees him take the stage as both animator and musician. I’m Dead Inside is a tale of a man who meets pretty girls, reads poetry, goes to the zoo and enjoys ice lollies in the rain without ever feeling even slightly joyful. The animation has an aesthetic that sits somewhere between 60s comics and 90s computer graphics, utilising glitchy movements, simple line-work and a limited colour palette to tell the story of one man and his existential crisis. A story befitted to our modern age.
On meeting a lion, the protagonist is invited into ‘the void’, where he dances and generally contracts his limbs into wild poses. Later on he returns home to watch the news, where a nonsensical scene unfolds that could rival our current affairs reality – the news reader opens his report with the admission to also being dead inside, and then while commenting on the stocks is mauled by a lion. Daniel was one of our first ever Graduates, receiving a degree in illustration and animation from Kingston in 2009, and since then he has worked with Creative Review, Sony, Amnesty International, the British Council and Vice, among many others.
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- Matthew Jones gives insight into Accept & Proceed's work for Nasa
- Illustrator Jordan Awan on fulfilling his childhood dream
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!