The peerless Adam Buxton has long proved that there’s comedy gold to be mined from the strange and sometimes terrifying world of YouTube comments. Kudos though to the Dead Parrot comedy collective who’ve taken this idea and run with it in the shape of the tremendous short film YouTube Comment Reconstruction #1: One Direction, That’s What Makes You Beautiful.
Its source material is a row between SOPHIE DANZE and JILIANLOVESTHEBIEBS which took place last month, revolving around the sexuality of One Direction’s floppy-haired heartthrob. It’s nothing new to point out that these kinds of discussions are ridiculous, but the stark Pinter-esque staging and pitch perfect characterisation of the two protagonists lends this piece the production values which really help highlight the madness. And the fact that it’s billed as YouTube Comment Reconstruction #1 offers the hope that there’s more where this came from.
- Paul Sahre chats to us about his new book Two Dimensional Man: A Graphic Memoir
- How can we connect young, diverse talent with the agencies who crave it?
- Ricky Leung’s illustrations capture the quiet moments of everyday life
- Photographer Chris Maggio palpably documents America’s current “emotional climate"
- Seoul-based Shrimp Chung’s dynamic designs are bright and full of impact
- Choreographer and director Holly Blakey on making work for everyone
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- North reveals full Science Museum rebrand, and reacts to online criticism
- GraphicDesign& outline three projects that successfully support and impact mental wellbeing
- Dove apologises and removes advert showing a black woman becoming a white woman
- Apple announces launch of gender neutral emojis
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity