The category winners for this year’s Designs of the Year have been announced, including a nod to one of our favourite projects, Marcel’s Inglorious Fruits & Vegetables campaign, which scooped the graphics category nomination. The campaign was nominated by our very own Alex Bec, and was created to champion the beauty within misshapen fruits and vegetables, which are sold at Intermarché for 30% cheaper than their more traditional-looking counterparts. The overall Design of the Year from the six category winners will be announced June, and all are on display at the exhibition alongside the other nominations (read our thoughts on it here) until 31 March 2016.
Digital – Boyan Slat, Jan de Sonneville PhD and Erwin Zwart: The Ocean Cleanup
This crowd-funded project develops ways to efficiently remove plastic pollution from aquatic ecosystems on a large scale.
Architecture – Elemental : UC Innovation Center – Anacleto Angelini
This university building in Santiago was designed to create “the right environment for knowledge-creation.”
Transport – YooJung Ahn, Jared Gross and Philipp Haban: Google self-driving car
A car that drives itself! No wheels, no pedals, just a button.
Product – Donald Ingber and Dan Dongeun Huh: Human organs-on-chips
These little chips were developed by Harvard University students and use living human cells that mimic the complex tissue structures and functions of entire organs, aiming to help advance the creation of personalised medicines and aid drug discovery with lower development costs.
Fashion –Thomas Tait: Thomas Tait AW13/14
The Central St Martins graduate’s designs were chosen for their demonstration of technical skills and aesthetics, showing combinations of colour, cut and materials “with vision and confidence,” according to the Design Museum.
- Paul Wright's paintings of Peggy Mitchell and Del Boy are bound to make you smile
- Daniel Wenzel faces the question of automation in creativity head-on in Automatic Type Design
- Abracradama studio designs a crafty and tonal identity for Hap ceramics
- A beginner’s guide to the world of digital art
- Be wowed by recent graduate Kieran McLister’s detail-driven stop motion animations
- “Click before anybody gets too comfortable”: New work from Daniel Arnold
- Graphic Design is Mental: Tips for looking after your state of mind as a designer
- Alan Titchmarsh stars in new campaign for Adidas’ Gardening Club collection
- Banksy opens his own store, Gross Domestic Product, in wake of legal dispute
- Moonlight, Ex Machina and The Witch go to print in three books designed by Actual Source
- Sometimes Always’ identity for São Paulo bar Caracol has over 10 billion compositions
- Basile Fournier speculates on how technology will affect the role of the future designer