How late are we to the Devin Troy Strother party? About two years late. Do we care? No we don’t; we’re just really glad we got here at all. We only came across Devin’s work last week thanks to photographer Brigitte Sire and her excellent behind-the-scenes photo shoots with a few of America’s most exciting creative talents. Included among them was Devin and his bold, witty mixed media creations.
From his Brooklyn studio, Devin creates these potent canvases strewn with thick scrawls of polychromatic acrylic, found ephemera and wonderfully stylised female characters that parade carefree across his extraordinary landscapes. Part platform game, part comic book Devin’s images all contain humorous narratives influenced by his environmental surroundings and contemporary culture at large. Just look at those brilliant titles!
- Meet the speakers: Dougal Wilson, Ewen Spencer, GraphicDesign& and Gal-dem
- Claire Hentschker: the artist who recreated The Shining as an interactive 3D space
- Rosanna Webster and Phoebe Henry’s cinematic portrait of Cuba
- Alex Hunting’s crisp editorial designs are considered and multi-layered
- Raine Allen Miller’s latest ad shows kids experiencing the “side effects” of tech toys
- Colin Pantall's warm depiction of childhood and fatherhood taken over 12 years
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner